Tuesday, May 25, 2010

American Idol Auditions

American idol Auditions
It all came down to this finishing night of performances on "American Idol" when Lee DeWyze and Crystal Bowersox dueled in a sing-off for the "American Idol" title.

There were three rounds of contest: First, each contender sang their favorite song from the season, then they sanged a song selected by "Idol" executive producer Simon Fuller, and finally, they sang the song that will become their first single if they win the competition.

Crystal won the toss, and she chose to go second, so Lee started the night with "The Boxer," which he originally sang during inspirational week. Randy Jackson told him, "A great way to start it off. I think this night will be a contest to the finish. It was a nice song, but picks it up and gets more energy going." Ellen DeGeneres praised, "I couldn't be prouder if I birthed you myself. I think you did that better than the first time." Kara DioGuardi agreed with Randy, saying, "You have to punch harder. It is a meaningful song that tells your story, so you connected." Simon Cowell said, "I have to be frank with you, Lee. This is the big one, so I would expect a lot more passion and excitement. That was a kiss on the cheek when I want a kiss on the lips -- but not from you. It has to be a bit more than that."

Lee DeWyze

Crystal chose to perform the song she sang on Billboard No. 1 week: "Me and Bobby McGee." Randy pointed out, "It started a little slow for me. You picked it up in the middle. I hope you make a record like that, I thought it was dope." Ellen told her, "I have said it before. I think you are just so persuasive on stage." Kara praised, "I loved it when you first did it and I loved it tonight. You have fire in your belly tonight. Go for it." Simon declared, "This brought me back to the time when we fell in love with you. The last couple of weeks haven't been great, but tonight we have a competition."

Lee returned for the second round with Simon Fuller's pick: "Everybody Hurts." Randy told him, "That was definitely better. It started out pitchy, but you pulled it together. I liked that a lot better." Ellen agreed that he went off a couple of times, but added, "It is about the performance. You got really into it, but then you pulled back. I want to see more of that from you." Kara said, "What makes you great as a performer is you are accessible. It wasn't a perfect vocal, but I love that about you." Simon thought it was a brilliant choice of song, while concurring with Randy that Lee went off melody. "What I am feeling from you tonight is you are nervous," Simon said. "You have another song to come. You have to understand how this night can change your life. When you come out for your next performance, I want 10 out of 10."

Simon Fuller chose "Black Velvet" for Crystal's second song. Randy raved, "This is what I am talking about! This is what I fell in love with from day one. Mamasox is in it to win it." Ellen simply labeled the performance "fantastic," while Kara said, "Tonight is the night to give it your all … to kill yourself on that stage. You want it. You can tell." Simon explained, "I had a little bit of a problem because I am almost allergic to that song. I have heard it in auditions where people murdered it. I have to tell you … you took that song and you absolutely nailed it."

Crystal Bowersox

The third round began with Lee's performance of his potential single, "Beautiful Day." Randy commented, "Dude, once again it started out a little interesting, with you walking around the stage, because it is not what you do. But, by the middle of the song when you hit the high notes and the chords, you found your groove." Ellen told him, "Watching the process of [your growth] to where you are now … I was watching your eyes, you were fully present. I love that you were able to get to that place. You did a great job." Kara said, "I think you got swallowed up in that song. You had some good moments and some not good moments. You have grown the most on this show. You have one of the most commercial voices. You deserve to be here." Simon said, "You made the most of [the song]. This is my final time I am going to judge this show, so I want to say, 'You are what this competition was designed for: Someone who needs a break, who has a regular job working in a paint shop. You have remained a nice person. I wish the best for you."

The final song of the night was Crystal with "Up to the Mountain." Randy told her, "Culminating our ninth season on the show, with Simon's leaving, this is what the show is about: an amazing song by an amazing singer. This is one of your best performances at the perfect time. Incredible." Ellen pointed out, "You are always looking for someone unique. Someone we don't have. You are in a league of your own. You have a beautiful voice -- so clear and it pulls you in. If you make an album, I am going to buy it. You are just so good. I am so happy to be a part of witnessing the rise of your career." Kara said, "This was an important song tonight. My criticism has been that you had walls up. You were completely emotionally invested in that song, unlike any other night. You blossomed with that song." Simon joked, "This is becoming a bit of a love fest tonight. I thought that was the best performance and best song of the night. Since this is the last critique I am going to give, I just want to say that was outstanding."

"American Idol" returns Wednesday night at 8 p.m. with a two-hour finale during which the season nine winner will be named.

No comments:

Post a Comment